The Authentic Reality About Economical Support – Adam Ruins College or university

Assume it is tricky to qualify for financial assist for higher education? Improper. Turns out, you CAN get aid—and Adam Conover will notify you how. (Trace: You commence by filling out your FAFSA at

FAFSA MYTHS:
Site:
Fb:
TWITTER:

1. I had straight A's in High School and had to pay for school myself and they game me nothing. So I call Bullshit. Grades should count I didn't work my ass off in HS for nothing.

2. Anyone that could help me reach my goal for funding my college endeavor would be greatly appreciated!!

3. just found out i only get 2 dispersements every semester wich means i ain getting shit until april you'd think i would be told that wen i first got my money but nnnnnooooo

4. All majors besides STEM majors are useless.

5. hi my name MRS.JEANHILl suppost be classes illness need feel much better now iam realy come back not give up my teacher is MRS>ASHLEY she help right now get were I suppost be

6. FUCK FAFSA I try to complete the fucking FAFSA and I linked my IRS info but it's on error loop of that my info is wrong even though it's from Fucking IRS link. I'm so frustrated.

7. Also, I found highly interesting that there are students who receive more than 5-6 thousand dollars, plus book support, plus low healthcare insurance, and metro card…. However, other students receive only as little as 200-500 dollars…… wHY THEY GIVE MORE MONEY TO PEOPLE MEANWHILE THEY CLAIMING THAT THERE IS OTHER MONEY LEFT FOR OTHERS?

8. Financial Aid is lying a lot! They say that it is not matter how much your parents' income, you will be eligible anyway…. So why on fucking earth says in the letter fucking explicitly that you are not eligible because your parents make too much money? Also, only a few privileged receives low income healthcare insurance plus the fucking financial aid…. Meanwhile they left out a lot of students and make them working 2-3 jobs just to pay their semester..,. so they why you fucking lying?

9. You forgot about the CSS profile, all the other forms you have to send in, even more problems if your parents are divorced, etc.

10. Federal Aid Programs require the student to make Satisfactory Academic Progress to maintain funding eligibility. This is typically a 2.0 and on pace to graduate with a full time class schedule. If a student falls below eligibility, there is an appeal process that can keep a student eligible while their grades improve.

11. They also don't tell you that when you graduate, your loans are bought by private companies who hike your interest rate.

12. What was the movie

13. Socialism

14. When he says most people get aid that includes mostly loans.

15. im not looking to use the info for work just my electronics/engineering hobbys soooooo ill jst stick to laser hackers videos and old ford motor company training videos

16. I caught onto the Good Will Hunting references!

17. i call bull shit on the every body can get financial aid from the government when i applied in high school i was told my parents make to much money.

18. Federal Student Aid is a major reason why college is so damn expensive…all it does is cripple college students and waste our tax dollars

19. is FAFSA available for internationals students?

20. Loved that movie

21. Yeah they fucking bullshiting man! Like they say it doesn't matter that yu parents make too much money to be consider to be eligible; fucking bullshit, my friend got a letter… Guess what? The first sentence said explicitly that he is not eligible, because his parents make too much.. However, financial aid always lying- like saying this is a myth; oh yeah? If this is a fucking myth, why you receiving letter saying that you parents make too much money.
    ?

22. Bull. Effing. Shit. The only financial aid I got was merit-based, and I only got told I could take a non-subsidized federal loan of $7k, which I never did because my dad more-or-less gave up on retirement to keep me from getting in debt (on his insistence). I stopped filling out the FAFSA after the first year, because it was a lot of work for absolutely no payoff.

23. I qualified for a little bit in loans, and the Bright Futures Scholarship, but that was about it. (Also the They said that my father made too much money). What's even worse is that almost EVERY other scholarship offered by the school needed FAFSA, aka it was need-based. I get that we want to try and help less privileged people with skills to get into college to refine them, however there should still be some scholarships or grants based solely on grades or skills for the rest of us. I graduated High School with a 4.5 GPA, an ACT of like 34, and about a year of college credits, yet I didn't qualify for any other scholarships?? So my father has to continue to support me in my adulthood when he should be retiring soon? And the money IS available, it just isn't being used for scholarships or to make tuition more affordable. At my school alone, 15 million dollars each year is being spent on the football program. They say that on average out of a class, only 5 or 6 students tuitions actually pay for the needs of the class (professor, room, equipment, etc) and the other 100+ students tuitions pay for all the extras that the school has.

24. What's the movie reference?

25. I swear I thought this was going to be a video about the crippling debt, but then again it's on the FAFSA youtube page lol.
    I graduated recently and the loan payment for the non-free money part will take from 10-20 years to pay off. Get the free money, and minimize how much you take out in student loans from FAFSA. If you file as independent you may also get more unsubsidized loans and possibly more grants. Ugh too much typing Do research on all the facets of student loans not just the "FREE MONEY" part.
    If you don't you could graduate looking for any job just to pay off loans rather than pursuing the career you initially intended.

26. is it applicable for international students???

27. Anybody else pick up on the good will hunting

28. humble janitor… what movie?

29. The biggest problem is that they consider you an adult/independent at 25 instead of 18-21. Until 25, you have to include parental income (they ain't giving it to you) and if you die they inherit the debt (there's a business, life insurance to college kids so their parents don't inherit debt.) If the school (no grade forgiveness and unfair professors) screws you over, you're stuck with bad grades and maybe a big debt for no degree. This was a puff piece with no criticism whatsoever.

30. Well basically im still in college at 24 due to degree changes, etc. Ever since I turned 24 i could file as an independent and get a shit load from pell grant. Really seems odd to me that im getting money after i failed for so long,, but no money before

31. I remember filling out the Fafsa. From that day onward, I learned to contact the right people to get it done the right way.

32. you apply for school they tell you to get loans from the government. horrible system.

33. NO NO NOOOOOOOOO! If I could give any advice to anyone in life it's NOT to apply for financial aid!!!!!! It's ruining my entire life! They don't allow you to file for bankruptcy and have NO MERCY!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Good Will Huntings GREAT FILM

35. Yep nearly everyone qualifies for financial aid. Fill out the fafsa and you qualify for federal student loans at higher interest rates than if you just took a loan out from your local bank and be left with thousands of dollars in debt that sticks around until you pay it off, even through bankruptcy. Or we could just all just take a very slight increase in taxes and redirect the money the government gives out through fafsa and actually make colleges have free tuition like some of the more developed nations in the world. But what would I know.

36. Damn I love Adam. Reminds me of Bill Nye's old videos.

37. algún americano mexicano o pocho? necesito ayuda para aplicar si te aceptan que pasa

38. When I first saw this video the comments were disabled. And I wanted to comment that this video was so full of crap. I am a son of a single mother who earns approx. 40,000 dollars a year and they still didn't give me any aid. Adam screw you for spreading lies.

39. I bet they offered to forgive his dept that he accumulated getting a communication arts degree if he did this video lol

40. This video is a COMPLETE sell-out. Adam, I'm disappointed. You do nothing to educate and everything to obfuscate. Student loans hurt low-income and middle-income students most of all, and high-school graduates are woefully uninformed about making such a life-altering decision. Please read this article for the REAL TRUTH ABOUT FINANCIAL AID> http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/ripping-off-young-america-the-college-loan-scandal-20130815