Style Your Desire Existence By way of Passive Revenue | Alex Szepietowski | TEDxUniversityofYork

Alex describes his experiences as a youthful entrepreneur and the techniques numerous many others could acquire to follow in his footsteps.

After interning in each marketplace he maybe could, Alex realised that, extra than any work in the environment, he desired to be his own manager. In 2012, with out cash or working experience and in his third yr of PPE at York (Derwent College or university), Alex read through ‘Rich Dad, Bad Dad’ and resolved to begin investing in residence. He put in his college student financial loan on understanding how it was carried out, and two many years later owned 24 residences and gained a handful of countrywide awards. Alex is extremely passionate about inspiring many others to believe in on their own and forge their own path, irrespective of their instances, or what ‘the norm’ dictates!

This talk was provided at a TEDx party working with the TED meeting structure but independently organized by a area community. Discover extra at

1. Yo! I'll teach you how to actually make money online. Search on Google for: moneydude671

2. so many smart ppl in youtube over fkn allllllllll

3. his tie is tied too short, its too skinny, and the lapels on his jacket are also waaayyy to skinny for his build

4. I am big fan of rich dad poor dad
    Robert is my financial teacher 👍

5. An utterly terrible speaker giving a vapid, empty speech to get blog signups.

I can't get that 15 minutes back.

6. @8:20 He discusses different means of generating passive income

7. extremely mind blowing,,, hats off bro 🙂

8. lol so he just described a pyramid scheme xD noice hahaha @8:30

9. He's fooling himself and us. His job is giving this empty presentation, for which I'm sure people end up paying far too much to attend.

10. Liked this much better when Tim Ferriss published it (with actual advice on how to achieve it) in 2007. But hey, good for you kid.

11. I'd hate to the be the girl dating this guy…she must be very unsatisfied…

12. Still wondering

13. knaaaaawledge

14. Being a passive gayboi

15. So you bought a house with a credit card and a student loan?

16. TLDR: How to make passive income:

1) Make up some story about how you used student loans to buy 12 houses, started a pyramid scheme and then got rich.
    2) Get a TedX slot, and use it to plug your story and direct people to your website
    3) Sell get rich quick guides
    4) Profit (Maybe)

17. Very inspiring stuff, always love to hear other people beating the rat race too!

18. Terrible talk.

19. Creating a passive income allows you to stop trading your time for money and spending your time doing the things you love. Imagine a world where we did what we did out of desire instead of money! Time is your most valuable asset.

20. This is shit, just a 10 minute ad about himself, selling him as consultant on the make money business information market. No facts, no really important information just shit shit shit. How can ted let this guy go up and talk I have no clue.

21. It's not that easy bro. Who are the people that rent houses instead of buying for themselves? Lower income. Who suffers first when a recession hits, say in 5 years? Lower income people. Who will be responsible for upkeep and wasted their young years on increadibly risky, undeversified investments instead of learning real skills (ie. project managment, scientific method, engineering, people leadership)? You did.

22. 6:15 Click here if you want to cut a long story short
    Well, thanks for nothing

23. crap

24. Kioysaki the gold pumper ahahaha

25. He's literally reading from notes on an envelope… no doubt written minutes before this speech

26. yawn…another 'buy to let' spiv who 'loves helping other people'

27. This is the worst TED talk I've ever watched…….he just keeps stalling and going all over the place with no point to make. It's almost like hes talking to himself.

28. This is complete bullshit. 24 properties in 2 years? You need 25% deposit for a BTL property so this lad must have some rich friends/family because as a student he ain't gonna do it, simple as. Anyway TED talks are supposed to be informative, entertaining and interesting, this was none of those.

29. Alex, thank you for your talk. A lot of them may not appreciate it but I did. 🙂

30. Utter BS, 24 properties in 2 years.  I don't see how and I certainly wouldn't pay him to find out how, which is clearly his aim.  I am a landlord and have been for a few years now, I was barely making more than £20k in my job when I started.  Most lenders required that you make over £25k, but there were a couple that would allow you to make just over £20k to be eligible for a loan.  Furthermore try getting a Buy to let mortgage when you don't own a house already, it's practically impossible.

Now the only real short term way of making more money in properties is to get interest only mortgages (meaning your mortgage payments are far lower, but your never paying off the capital).  In my opinion this can be a very dangerous way to go and you would still have all the issues I mentioned above, but yes your rental yields would be significantly higher.  This could be what he has done, but it's an extremely dangerous way to go, it's also part of the reason we keep getting housing bubbles.

Let's suppose you get a mortgage for a property worth £100k and you put 10% down (which is about the minimum BTL lenders allow).  If it's interest only and lets assume you got it at 4% (which you'd be lucky to get based on that LTV), you would pay £300 a month and probably let it out for £450.  The biggest issue I still see with this, is that lenders are far more nervous giving loans which only require a 10% deposit for BTL.  Granted the returns would be very good, but your not paying the capital off.  You have also got the issue that because your deposit was so low that if the interest rates start rising much your in serious trouble.  Interest rates at 5% and your mortgage repayments are at £375 (halving your profit) and at 6% your at break even £450 mortgage payments.  Obviously if interest rates go up more like they were just before the 2008 crash at just below 7%, your 24 property portfolio is wiped out and you are bankrupted.

Also anyone considering BTL should consider that the way landlords are taxed on mortgage interest has and is changing for future tax years.

Just take all Alex Szepietowski's suggestions with a pinch of salt, because despite his grandiose claims of which he gave no real evidence, his main method of making money now appears to be selling his services through his website.

31. TED publishes such rubbish??!

32. I went from here to Alex Szepietowski blog – then found myself Googling the name on his 'certificate'. At that point, I disregarded the previous 20 minutes of my life….
    I would suggest… don't watch the, Google his name to find the blog, then scan down the page.. If the quality of the blog doesn't tell you enough… He might have made a bob-or-two, but he certainly can't write a post and certainly didn't even proof read it. Just the layout should show you that. Worst Ted video I have ever watched.

33. So a kid that learned about a financial strategy a couple years is going to tell me how to be well off.

34. Very nice , Loved it . Yup now I can think in the right direction and Im a student now . Thanks

35. i dont understand whats his message.

36. …just another middle man……doesn't need a real job until the people he's ripping off realise they are paying for his life style….best of luck….i certainly don't think this is important….and am shocked that it's a TED talk,,,,,I don't want to see TED go down hill, it's such a great program usually…..

37. Why does everyone that says look its so easy just do this. Many of these people sound like they come from a place of privelage in the first place.

38. Nooooot completely sure why we're upset with someone that's chosen to share his opinion regarding OPENING up our ideas about making money… If you didn't like it, get on TEDx yourself and share your opinion on something =) OH btw, this is how TEDx defines itself: TEDx is an international community that organizes TED-style events anywhere and everywhere — celebrating locally-driven ideas and elevating them to a global stage. TEDx events are produced independently of TED conferences, each event curates speakers on their own, but based on TED's format and rules.

CHEERS.

39. Damn I clicked on this because I thought he was Frank Spencer.